Monday, May 6, 2013

Home Made Grid-it (no-sew version) Tutorial

Pin It I think a post on Lifehacker.com alerted me to Grid-it organizers.  They’re a brilliant way to store cords and other things that can get lost in a backpack or bag.  I needed one to corral my “cord drawer.”  So I knew that it only need to be one sided and I didn’t want to sew. 
IMG_5566IMG_5567
1.Book cover and fabric.  This is a good time to cut out the corners of your fabric.
2. Using lots of random elastic I started to make my grid. 
IMG_5570IMG_5571
3.  pinned my elastic to the fabric (I realize now I should have just stapled the elastic to the fabric and avoided this ridiculous step.).  Do you like the FEDCO elastic from the 1980s?  My mother only paid a $1.07 for it!
4.  The elastic going perpendicular to the elastic in step 2 are being placed. 
IMG_5572IMG_5573
5.  Woven and rewoven to get the right spacing of elastic
6.  Stapled all the elastic to the fabric
IMG_5574IMG_5576
7.  For extra security, adhere Hello Kitty Duct Tape to corners.  Wrap one bookcover with fabric/elastic grid.
8.  Hot glue to matching bookcover. 
IMG_5578
The cord drawer is no longer a nest of tangled cords! 
I have since made several other grid-it organizers using this method (sewing machine needed):  http://snapguide.com/guides/make-a-cheap-grid-it-wrap-organizer/
And if you really want to take it to a new level:
http://www.designsponge.com/2011/08/diy-project-vintage-book-travel-tech-organizer.html

No comments:

Post a Comment